Summer 2012

Summer 2012
BibeauArt of Santa Rosa

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Don't hate me because I'm Catholic...

...well, it's finally happened. I guess the nuns always get you in the end. My family and I are attending a Roman Catholic Church. Okay, you can get your mouth off the floor and breathe.

There, that's much better isn't it?

Dropping religious 'bombs' on friends and close family members seems to be our specialty in the last oh, 6 years. Keep in mind that this recent move wasn't a planned move at all - we were, well, I must say, forced through a few doors to get to this arena. We learned who our TRUE friends are, learned that God won't strike you down or hand down a big ugly judgement on you if you're not Eastern Orthodox of a particular church building. I think what I've learned through all of this is quite simple - God has never abandoned me, he won't ever abandon me and he always finds me when I am lost.

I also learned that I am me. Not a monastic-mother-saint-slave-doormat-woman who keeps trying to be something that I am simply not. I'm scrappy at times, I'm cranky at times, I can be totally "Marie" (inside joke), I can be mad, I can announce my feelings and opinions when I feel they need to be aired and most of all, I can think for myself again and make my OWN decisions. That's why God fashioned me with a brain, folks.

Now that I've returned to my normal self and not some trumped up holy wannabe chick, I feel more joy when it comes to God. I feel more beauty around me, more freedom - I feel more like praying (mostly thanksgiving prayers) to God for his blessings. I don't feel fake.

A lovely elderly sister named Sister Maria has been a wonderful presence in my life here at work (remember, I work for the Catholics too) and I feel very taken care of by her 'checking in on me'. She reminds me of my dear Grandmother and is just as funny!

Thank God for little mercies!

Oh, and I'm getting another rosary and I'm wearing my Grandmother's Holy Virgin pendant that all good little Catholic schoolgirls wore (thanks to those nuns).

See, the nuns do get you in the end...thankfully.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding your title: As if!

There was a time I really wanted to be Orthodox. It was my family that kept me Catholic.

Ironically, is is the Orthodox I know that continue to keep me appreciating my Catholicism, by recalling our shared heritage, and what is so beautiful about them both. I like being able to choose between a rosary and a prayer rope, between a statue and an icon, between this church father over that one, and (gasp) a mass with guitars over a mass with an organ and choir. I can even choose between an eastern liturgy or the Latin rite if I get antsy and need things shaken up a bit. I'm grateful to my Orthodox friends for broadening my Catholic perspective and being rich in spiritual depth.

Your family continues to remain in my prayers. I hope you find peace and lasting contentment where you are. It won't be easy, but I hope it will be good enough.

Anonymous said...

I've said my congratulations over at CP's blog, but I'll say them here too. God bless you in your new church home. I hope and pray God continues to work in your lives through this parish in new and amazing ways.

Unknown said...

Thanks guys and gals for being really cool about the announcement!

And, YES Miss Tess - we'll have to chat! We have a lot in common!

Anonymous said...

"The nuns get you in the end."

ROTFL!!!! Ain't it the truth?

Diane