Summer 2012

Summer 2012
BibeauArt of Santa Rosa

Saturday, October 01, 2005

The Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange - the founders of the place that I'm working at now

"We live and work to bring all people into union with God and with one another, serving their spiritual and corporal needs in all works of mercy within our power." The Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange

That's one of their mottos that is a part of the mission statement of the company that I work at right now. Although I'm a temp there for only two weeks, we'll see if I become part of the larger family at this hospital soon. I certainly hope so.

It's interesting that for the past four-five years (basically ever since the baby journey began for us) that I've lost so much self esteem, confidence and well, a lot of things. Just didn't feel like myself at all. Knew it would return to normal someday, had hope, prayed and trusted in God that things would work out, but boy, that's certainly a long time for me to get out of a 'funk'.

With only a week under my belt at this full time temp job I've recovered a lot of my professionalism, poise and work ethic that I thought was only a distant memory. Really interesting how that kicked back in. Even hubby said that I'm more confident, motivated, happy - you name it, it's back.

Physically, I'm tired a bit - my back was aching a bit (nothing my chiropractor cousin can't fix!) and my dogs were barking at the end of each night - but I'm doing something that I never did before. Take care of myself. Take breaks, go outside, get some sunlight and fresh air, breathe deeply during the day and, as soon as my virus is kicked - go to the gym.

A novel idea, I know! LOL!

What makes me happy - especially happy at this latest job - is all I wrote above and the fact that I'm always looking for ways to connect and mesh my Faith with what I do at work. I don't feel like the weirdo with the Jesus Icon on my desk. I don't have to answer insulting questions every day against my Faith or my God. I haven't had to look at silly 'motivation' meaningless stuff on the walls at work that gets rather old pretty fast day after day.

What I see is this - women and men surrounded by depictions of the cross (modern and traditional RC), scripture quotes framed around the office (never tire of those), the religious art of my childhood by the RC nuns that used to decorate my churches and fellowship halls in the '70's and '80's, realistic crucifixes on personal desks, Icons. They make me feel at home - I don't feel disconnected or uneasy - instead I rejoice that I can see these things in an office.

The discussion in the office isn't laced with hate, sarcasm or office politics. It really isn't - I've looked, listened for it and haven't seen or felt it with anyone in this office. That's a first for me. I'm always on the lookout for that - and then I find out to what degree it's festering around the office and try to either fit in or dance around the outer limits of it to survive. It's a fact of office life, really. If you don't play the game, you're gone.

The discussion IS peppered with the words 'that is such a blessing' or 'we are so thankful for that blessing' or 'Thanks to God this has happened'. And no, these aren't the nuns. These are the Catholic women that I work with.

They don't just stand around and do this all day either - these ladies WORK and get things DONE with a sense of real teamwork and cause.

So refreshing. I hope that this attitude is everywhere in the organization - so far, from what I've seen (visiting employees of all types) and from being a patient at one of the facilities for my second operation, it's pretty standard if not amazingly across the board.

They get a lot of this attitude and love of their work from the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange who wrote down what they expect of their hospitals and offices. And they get it from what I see. The standards are high here and very rewarding.

I pray that I can have a job at this place and continue their tradition. More on the Sisters tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that your work environment is having such a good effect on you.

I hope this isn't prying, and I won't be bothered if you don't respond, but I was wondering about the funk you mentioned. Was it related more to your illness or to having to staying home? The reason I ask is that my wife is a stay-at-home mother and I was thinking about how isolating that could be, especially since we do not have any extended family in the area.