Summer 2012

Summer 2012
BibeauArt of Santa Rosa

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Spreading love and sunshine everywhere in Sonoma County

No, this isn't about sunshine and love in Sonoma County. This is about 'the crone'. Yes, they still exist.

While doing some errands earlier today I parked next to an older vehicle in the handicapped spots (since I'm a red placard carrier til December 24th thanks to my sciatic nerve problem that still flares up) and couldn't help but noticed that this car was totally decorated with bumper stickers. They ranged from very VERY liberal political statements to a whole bunch about 'the goddess' - 'keep your laws off of my body!' ...and why the driver is a 'crone' - and it's 'new' and 'more positive' meaning.

Well, this IS Sonoma County.

In the store there was this strange older lady that I hate to say looked like a Halloween Witch - she had the pointy dark straw hat, wide brim, dark moo-moo looking thing on, strange sandals and weird frizzy black gray hair that literally looked like a wig. She lurked around the store and ended up not getting anything. I know this because she was right in front of me as I made my way out to the car.

The weird thing was not that she belonged to the liberal goddess car (she did) but she seemed to be really ticked off that I was parked in a handicapped spot with a red (meaning temporary) placard - which is what you need in California to park in these spots, officially.

She stared me down as I got into the car and bucked JP and myself up, came around the passenger side window and really gave me one 'crone' like look. If looks could kill! Oh, by the way, she was in a handicapped spot too.

Apparently, unless I'm dragging my foot as a walk, using a walker, cane (that I was using) or wheelchair, it's not always clear why I use my placard that, by the by, my doctor had to send in for, I paid for and gosh darn it, I NEED!

So much for the old crone being Miss Liberal. She's anything but! Perhaps she needs another bumper sticker that states "I think I'm the POLICE." She kept staring at me while leaning against her liberal-mobile, arms folded, until I left the parking lot. I wonder if she was just crazy or thought she was 'catching' someone that was using the placard that shouldn't have.

I could have stopped, showed her my papers and explained myself - but I've got a life to lead, cha-cha - AND, the last time I checked, this is AMERICA - I don't need to show you no stinkin' papers.

Sometimes, people can be so, well, nosy. Sometimes people just have handicaps that you can't see. They may be temporary and they may be with a younger person, so don't freak out when you see someone using a handicapped space with the proper tags - and they LOOK healthy. We are sometimes in a lot of pain although we look MARVELOUS on the outside.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful and have that prime handicapped spot, now, lady!

Rant at a end. I promise! Tune in next week for the carpool lane issue - when a mother is driving with a child in the back seat - does this count for two people in the car? Is it OKAY to use this lane when you are not going to work with kids in the back seat? Hmmm. Hopefully Miss Liberal won't see me.

Just kidding! Sunshine and love!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those liberals crack me up. Tolerance is their middle name, is it? Only sometimes and when it suits them.

She probably just needed a hug. I bet she doesn't get a lot of those.

My mom had a handicapped sign in her car long before she actually *looked* handicapped. If she was going on a few errands, she might get out at the first stop with something of a spring in her step. But if that first stop was a big grocery store, then she might come out walking a lot differently than she went in.

You can count your blessings that you look maahhhvelous. :^)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the story. I'll admit to occasionally wondering at people who appear normal with those handicap parking spots, so your tale touches home with me. I don't stare them down, but the wondering is there. Thanks

Unknown said...

Thanks, guys for your comments today! Yes, I'm sure there are folks who use these placards for evil and shouldn't have them - but just like Laura's mother who looks faboo when entering a store may not look that 'springy' on the way out. That's me, pretty much.

There was a commentator on the radio some time ago who was REALLY ticked off that people were actually yelling at his mother who has a placard and who parks in the blue handicapped spots - but she doesn't LOOK like she needs it. I think the lady has some awful disease that limits her walking down to a few yards at at time or something terrible like that.

I can't imagine yelling at someone over that - but I can imagine how the poor lady felt!

For those folks who take those spots from others who really don't need it - aka healthy people - it's not cool.

Hard to judge when you look at a person - kinda like judging a book by it's cover. Oh, wait, as Christians we can't judge. Ooops!