Summer 2012

Summer 2012
BibeauArt of Santa Rosa

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

It can't be this hard to get a call back on a job, can it?

I'm a bit depressed today. Just a tad bit, and cranky. I've done my best to snag a measly call BACK on a job since the middle of last month and I'm not hearing that phone ring.

Sigh.

Could it be that the job market out here (although they advertise for people) is that depressed. Could it be that I've been out of commission for way too long? Could it be that I'm married, over 30 and have a kid that's keeping the jobs at bay?

OR could it be that I'm just expecting what USED to be in the job market of four years ago?

Could be all these things, could be none of these things.

Temp agencies are happy to see you come in the door and treat you like a Queen, but they don't come-a-calling as they promised. I've gotten ONE call from this temp agency that promised me the world and well, let's say that they 'job' they had was for two weeks, totally weak and the hourly wage wouldn't really be worth it with all the gas I would waste just getting there.

There's gotta be a little clerical job for me somewhere around here. I even 'dumbed' down my resume for certain positions I've applied for on line - to no avail. I just keep getting those postcards and letters a week later from these same companies saying I'm 'overqualified'.

Maybe I should take 'basket weaving 101' off of my resume too. Ha!

Well, gotta start somewhere - so I'll be attending the local job fair to see who shows up and if there's anything worth chasing after. All I can think of is this - if it's that hard to get a job right now, imagine how hard it is to scrounge up a date for Saturday night these days?

Ugh! I don't even want to think about it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be too discouraged, these things will come in God's time. I'll pray for you on getting a job that will suite you soon.

Let us know how the job fair goes.

Anonymous said...

Now it's time for me to tell you "hang in there." It seems unfair that you have to dumb down your resume. It seems like you would be better off doing a job where you could really put your talents to use.

My kids did an art camp this summer, put on by a self-taught artist who opened her own art teaching studio. I can see you doing something like that. Look to the homeschool community for work, also. Homeschoolers are always looking for classroom opportunties and private lessons. You could do tutoring in about any subject, or have regular classes (knitting classes!). It wouldn't be as good as a regular paying job, but if the regular paying job doesn't pan out, then this might be a way to make some extra $$. Over here in NC there is a real shortage of substitute teachers. I think that would be a really hard job, but maybe it would come more easily to you.

If you could have any job in the world, what would you do?

Unknown said...

Any job in the world? Well, I'm a mom already (LOL!) but seriously, I'd probably teach art to young kids. Terrible pay, I know, but that would be fun.

The only problem is this - I need a gig really soon with benefits - medical, dental and vision. We're tired of paying for them on our own. Way too expensive.

I had an interview with a lady who recruits for a living today and she says I shouldn't dumb down the resume. Hopefully she can get me a gig! She helped me feel a bit better about myself after all the tests and computer/typing tests they put you through (I do better each time I do them!).

She gave me some pointers on the resume and suggested that I do a temp/hire situation to get those benefits. They may not be given to me in a month, but I can wait four months or so to get the benefits.

So, tonight I feel a bit more confident. Thanks, guys and gals for your words of encouragement! They helped a lot!

Then, when I got home tonight there were TWO calls from other temp places looking for me. Hmmm. Not bad for a soft resume. I'm jazzing it back up tonight for sure.

Thanks Miss Laura, for the tips. Maybe one day I'll teach!