Summer 2012

Summer 2012
BibeauArt of Santa Rosa

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Sonoma County Fair - highest win was 2nd place

Out of the all the entries I put into the Fair this year (four entries), the one that actually won second place was the Mardi Gras Mask that my son and I created for FUN!

Sigh!

Well, I'm not sure what the judges are thinking half the time, but this year should have been a shoe-in for two of my more serious paintings - but the mask won and the crazy Rooster painting that I did that my friends didn't think would be winning anything actually won a fourth place ribbon! It is a crazy painting, but you could see that thing from across the showroom - I had to laugh out loud at that! You see, the first year I put a painting in the Fair it was so subtle and relaxed that it actually BLENDED into the wall and I walked by it FOUR TIMES! LOL! So, although it's not my most popular painting or the most Cezanne-ish, man, you could see this one from a mile away - and I had to take some pride in that.

Which got me thinking, let's say you're a judge and you walk into that room FULL of paintings. What are you going to notice first, the dinky subtle thing or this ROOSTER thing blaring at you from the wall??? I also noticed that the winning paintings for the past few years have been LARGE paintings. Mine are just about medium sized, perfect for my walls (and for my family members walls too). I'm not about to change that.

I am proud to say that my son, Justin, was so happy to have won a second place ribbon at the Fair - it was nice to see his reaction to 'winning' with his mommy.

Now that I've seen my placings at the Fair, I can go in peace to Stanford for my surgery this week. AND, I'm sure the people at the Fair today (it was Senior Day) were happy to see my hang up the cell phone at the art exhibit and LEAVE! I was on the line with my dear friend Irene in Chicago - she wanted to know how I placed - and was just as outraged as I was at the judges decisions on a lot of things.

Time to get on with life again - life after the Fair! LOL!

No comments: