Summer 2012

Summer 2012
BibeauArt of Santa Rosa

Thursday, May 20, 2010

New plants, new paints, new attitude!

Some girls like new Coach purses to make them happy.  Some chicks like bling bling from Tiffany's. Yet, still other ladies prefer a day or two at a posh spa in order to recharge their batteries.  Don't get me wrong, I do like all of that stuff, but NOTHING gets me going more than buying new plants for the garden, some new paint/colors and some clean studio canvases.  NOTHING.

I love putting my hands into the dirt, I love mixing dirt.  I love cleaning up the garden bed area.  I love giving these little healthy plants new homes for the Summer.  I love watering them, nurturing them.  Watching them grow and thrive.  I also love eating their bounty in the hot months ahead in my salads with a BBQ!

I also love figuring out what paintings I need to do in order to hit certain deadlines, making a list (OOOH!) and figuring out what paints need replenishing and what bases I need.  I'm truly picky about my brushes, and they last forever, so I hang on to the oldies but goodies til they die off.  Coming home with a stack of fresh, thick, white, new canvases all mounted and ready to go makes my heart sing.  Placing the new paints into the bin with the other older paints also makes me feel good.  I choose the photos that I have taken or stolen from others on facebook (you know who you are!) and tape them to the new canvases.  I line them up in order of how I will paint them and feel a joy in my heart of being on the cusp of creating something from nothing.

Maybe that's it.  Being a creator of something from nothing.  Chaos into order.  Emotions and feelings into something more real, something you can touch.  Whatever it is, these two activities are my most prized and most loved things to do besides being with family, going to my son's baseball games and reading to my son at night - all snuggled up with warm blankets.

From the planting of the little sprouts come fruits of the vine that others can enjoy and from my brushes and paints come images that my friends and strangers alike can feast on with their eyes.

1 comment:

Jo Schaffer said...

So satisfying to grow things!
I was in the Rose Society when I lived in SoCal. It was heaven and my roses were fabu--I took very good care of them. Then I had kids etc. and I rarely get to yard work. )=