Summer 2012

Summer 2012
BibeauArt of Santa Rosa

Thursday, December 29, 2005

New Year's Birthday and feast day for the two most special women I've ever known...

Sunday, January 1st, New Years Day, is also a Feast Day of the Theotokos/Virgin Mary. It's also the birthday of my beloved Grandmother, Marie - who was named after the Virgin Mary (family tradition). Grandma Marie is no longer with us, but I still celebrate her birthday and pray for her.

These two remarkable women were and are the best role models a young lady could have growing up. The Virgin Mary was always watching over me and always answered my prayers STAT - and my dear Grandma was THE one who taught me about Christ and how the Most Holy Mother was my protector in bad times (and Lord knows I had some of those).

Although both of these ladies are no longer 'here' I feel as if they are always by my side and know that I've always had a strong connection to both of them. When I think of the Theotokos, I think of security, love, all things beautiful, compassion, patience and prayer. When I think of my Grandmother Marie, I think of all these things plus laughter, music, fun, things that sparkle, glamour, manners, grace, beauty, unconditional love and protection.

As I get older (now at 34) I tend to do things that are just like my Grandmother. Her loopy 'whoo-whoos' her laugh, her comments that seem to just come out of my mouth when family is near...her little Irish traditions that were so dear to her. It seems like my Aunt and I are carbon copies of this little Black Irish woman with a heart of gold. We laugh about it when we're together, but we're really proud to be like Marie. Very proud. And I'm sure she's proud of us right now - and is ever vigilant, praying for us.

So, if you can, on the first day of the new year, say a prayer for Marie - it was her wish that nobody would forget to pray for her - while you're celebrating the Feast of the Theotokos that day. It would mean a lot to me.

Happy New Year this weekend everyone!!!

No comments: