Summer 2012

Summer 2012
BibeauArt of Santa Rosa

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Feeling like a productive member of society again...

...ahhh! So nice to have a job where your boss LOVES you and appreciates what you do. So very nice. The nurse manager that I work for is A) a female and B) thinks like me a lot of the time and C) is a pretty mellow person.

Thank God!

As I was running about today organizing the second office (I now have two offices in two different locations) I thought to myself "wow! I'm really working again - that's what was missing! I feel normal now"...kinda feel grown up too. It's about darn time at age 34. Now I look comfortable in the clothes that I'm wearing - not like I'm playing dress up or 'playing librarian' as I always got teased for (yes, even in the workplace!). Imagine that!

Of course, one of the other jobs finally showed up on the HR site - the other job that I was also waiting for last month - and I must say that the Ambulatory Center site for that job just scares me. I think it's the name. However, I'm staying put at this job due to the great boss that I've got and the fact that the position is being created by me, actually. They made the job, but didn't clearly define it - which makes sense due to the fact that it's a NEW position.

I'm sorting out the offices - one is worse off than the other. One is scheduled for a remodel soon and I have two different staff groups to learn. Well, make that three. The RN's, the LVN's and the Rad Techs (X-ray). Nicest folks on the planet. I can see where their job would be stressful, but they manage so well. I don't think I would manage as well, but they're trained for it.

I'm learning the disaster codes as well. This is so that, like today, when a disaster code is announced by the PBX operator in a cool, soothing voice, I can know what's going on where - as in where to avoid going. Today, the announcer said there was a 100 code going on in the next building. I asked my boss what that was and she says 'oh, that means that they've got a combative situation up front'...casually. My eyes must have been as big as saucers - until she explained that they get that sometimes with the neighboring Psych unit.

Just another day at the office. LOL!

I'm not in the Psych unit, but see enough action on the Urgent Care side. I'm getting used to the babies crying when the doctor touches them - the "who the heck are you and where's my MOMMY" cry...and know to close the door if it bothers me too much. Before I was a mom, that would be just annoying, now it's tugging on my heartstrings and I say 'what's going on with the baby out there?' - the nurses laugh. I'm a rookie.

I get to use my creative juices in the whole office - starting with my desk area - the break/staff room and the waiting room. They need kids stuff. There's nothing out there for the kids. I can't stand that - so I'm bringing some magazines (kid stuff), some colouring books, some smaller toys that I've seen in other waiting rooms that don't have small parts. We have meetings that call for muffins, healthy bagels (the small ones) fruits and juices, and a ton of volunteer services for needy people in the area. We're already gearing up for Christmas 'caring trees' to adopt families in need or elderly folks, caroling in the rehab units, fundraisers for abused and neglected children - and I couldn't be happier.

What I most love about this company - it's so refreshing to open up a company wide e-mail by someone like me who wanted us to know what today is - November 1 - the Day of the Dead - and what the Catholic meaning behind it is - and remembering those who have departed on this day. Prayers, rememberances, poems - in a company email.

My heart just warmed up when I saw that. Helping others, praying and remembering those who came before us and those who are in need right now - that's what the Sisters stood for and why they still exist today. I'd like to meet some of the Sisters and let them know how much their selfless works mean to me. It just charges me up. I feel like my soul has been plugged into a generator or something - so charged up! It's so wonderful.

Me, happy at work?!?!?!?!

God is merciful! Okay, Issac - we've gotta write to each other about working in a Medical setting. You probably know way more than me! Some of this med stuff is so strange! Write me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a marvelous job! It sounds like it will draw upon all your strengths. It also sounds to me like your strengths (creativity, lightheartedness, devotion, empathy) will be a blessing to those who will work with you.

It sounds like a marvelous give and take. I hope it always appears as fresh and promising as it does right now. I'm very happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Like Laura said, it does sound like a great work environment, and I am so pleased for you.

As for trading shop talk, well, I'm not sure what to say. After four years of working general surgery and pediatrics (I don't have a clue about adult healthcare), I'm pretty familiar with most of the tests, procedures, and medicines used, and can even catch the occasional mistake.

One thing I noticed was your separation of LVN's and RN's. I am aware of the different status of LVN's from state to state, but here at my hosptital, there is only a few things that distinguish the LVN's from the RN's, and they work nearly identical roles on my unit.

Unknown said...

Well, they call the LVN's 'care partners' - not sure what the separation is all about, but I'll figure it out soon I'm sure. It looks like they all work together, but sometimes they are cross trained and work interchangably. Oh, and I found out that if there's another time when I see someone distraught in the patient area or scared (as in a child or elderly person) I have permission to ask them if they are alright and if there's anything I can get or do for them (or to fetch a spiritual care person). That makes me feel not so helpless.

Anonymous said...

Good for you to be aware of people in distress. Hospitals can be scary places, as we don't generally go there willingly, and so people are particularly vulnerable and under stress and are in need of an advocate. It sounds like you are in a wonderful position to serve the Lord in a variety of ministries (and get paid to boot, praise God!)