Summer 2012

Summer 2012
BibeauArt of Santa Rosa

Friday, August 26, 2005

'Super Sweet Sixteen' on MTV

Since I've been home recovering (aka: watching TV and knitting, a deadly combination) I've stumbled across something horrible on TV. This is even more horrible than VH1's "Surreal Life" which is just degrading and makes one want to take a shower after seeing it.

Even though all these shows are so bad that you shouldn't be watching them in the first place, once you start watching them it's like watching a car accident - you just can't look away. So, today I made sure the TV was off. Can't see this show again!

The premise of this newest 'reality TV' show is the MTV installment called "Super Sweet Sixteen" and boy, they can just drop the "sweet" from the title. These full blown divas that apparently are turning 16 but act like the rich, spoiled divorcee on the '80's Dallas or Falcon Crest are too fake to believe. First of all, they are minors and secondly, money seems to be no object since it seems all the girls have parents who are divorced. Shocker!

The fact that these girls are mini Paris Hiltons isn't what bothers me, it's more that their parents are spending so much money on these brats that one has to wonder - WHAT are they gonna do for this diva's wedding? Well, that is IF the girl can step off of her high horse for ten seconds to land a man who can put up with it.

I'm a parent - not to a girl, but still - and there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD I would do this sort of thing for my kid (daughter or son) let alone mortgage the house to do a party to make my kid the most popular and stuck up person in the school system.

Watching this program four times (which was plenty enough - and the format is basically the same each time) made me also think of what the girls featured on the program would think when they saw themselves acting so terribly on the TV for the world to see. I would be mortified, but then again, I never acted like I was Paris Hilton - let alone while cameras were rolling!!!

Perhaps the girls were flattered that MTV would care enough to follow them around taping their every move, bad word, fight with their mothers, $900 dress sessions, hair-do cranky-ness, etc., and thought that they would actually look 'cool' under the MTV lights.

Um, nope! If anything, these young girls need some serious time at a boot camp or with habitat for humanity or something to help get their blonde tresses down to earth with the rest of us. For my 'sweet sixteen' my parents went to Hawaii (without me) which gave me the opportunity to date the guy I wanted to, snag that all important 'first kiss' and get busted by my own (younger) sister hours later. I wasn't yelling at the party coordinator from the Paris Hotel in Las Vegas over some Freshman busting into my Gala and chasing the culprits down in my Prada shoes, toenails with REAL DIAMONDS encrusted on them and $1000 dress! LOL!

I think I was in jeans, tennis shoes and a sweatshirt! The whole ensemble cost like $40! Ah, the '80's - so simple!

However, I do like the High School Scandals and Pranks on MTV that showcase the creative minds of Senior class members who try to come up with (and do) the coolest prank before graduation. Mostly, the kids get into trouble because they're kids, and the school administration deals with this kind of stuff each year. Of course, they never tell you how the grades are of these kids - so you have to wonder if they were doing this as extra-credit or just for fun.

Thank God I'm not a teenager these days! I'm too much of a square peg for this sort of stuff on MTV!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I thank God every day that JP is a boy and that your son, my godkid, is a boy! Although don't you think our kids, if girls, would be tomboys like us?