Summer 2012

Summer 2012
BibeauArt of Santa Rosa

Sunday, August 28, 2005

The freedom of the Cable stitch & Katrina in New Orleans

This weekend I taught myself how to do the dreaded Cable stich thing. Wow! How cool is it when you teach yourself how to do something (a skill as in this instance) that has nothing to do with a computer? Very cool. Very empowering, very freeing.

I've avoided this particular stitch pattern because it just looks so difficult to do (not to mention those wiggly looking cable needles that go along with it - just scary looking). Not knowing that a little twist here and a little twist there and VOILA! I've got a nice little cable pattern going into an evening halter top that ties at the neck in back. Grabbed some nice soft and softly sparkling black yarn and it's coming together rather nicely.

See, the hidden fashion designer in all of us can come out once you learn the basics of knitting! LOL! Well, at least I know the outfit I'll be wearing to my hubby's company Christmas party this year. The cable halter top that I'm making now, my lovely Ann Taylor silk skirt that I've held on to for just the right occasion and - well, I'll have to make some kind of nice evening wrap to go along with my outfit to finish it off (and to keep me a bit warm!).

I've also thought of my painting again now that my recovery time is coming to an end here in September. I've got a few things I have in mind to paint, and would like to get going on but should really wait until I'm back in the groove. Kinda like the writers block that you hear of. Yeah, being a Journalist in a former life (in my early 20's) I knew what that was like too, but deadlines don't let writer's block take over, that's why they have Editors to help kick you in the rear and remind you that you could lose your job!

Not so with painting. Nobody's going to fire me - and I think the little break is good for me. Good for artists in general. You paint and paint for a period of time (or a weekend let's say), get motivated about your next series of paintings, get set up and perhaps need a break all of the sudden. The ideas are still there and the desire to do these paintings are still there - those blank sheets of canvas are hovering around, waiting for their colours -- but you're just not 'there' yet. In my case this time I think it's the drugs from this latest and hopefully last surgery. Once they decide to get out of my system (and once I start drinking more water to help them out) I think the energy to do these paintings will return.

Of course, Christmas will be coming up sooner than later, and that's always a good deadline to work for. Sigh. Maybe I'll make it this year. Who knows? My loved ones with either get a painting (or already have one - especially if they live in Chicago or Nashville!) for this year or something lovely that I knit especially for them. Or perhaps both. We'll see what the creativity meter reads in a few weeks - and if I don't have a job by then.

No job so far - and Lord knows I've sent out many a resume on line in the past two weeks. Let's see what happens this week if anything. Re-entry ain't the most desirable thing to have floating around on a resume or cover letter.

Praying for those folks in New Orleans and surrounding areas - including family in Tennessee...I've driven down from Nashville to Mobile, Alabama (facinating place for a painter!!!) and it's not that long of a drive as you're going through to Destin Beach area...hoping everyone is safe and sound tonight, Lord willing.

May Katrina's force be swift and without the loss of too many lives. They say this type of storm comes every 150 years or something like that. Time for some serious prayer, folks. Lord, have mercy!

No comments: