Summer 2012

Summer 2012
BibeauArt of Santa Rosa

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Being thankful...for the little and not so little things

Just wanted to post that I'm thankful for my family near and far, my hubby and my sweet son, my dear friends, for my remodeled nice and clean home we live in and especially for the little things in life.

A hot bath, a piece of good chocolate, your favorite song just starting on the radio, the calm and peace one gets during the Liturgy (even if it's only for a few moments - with a kid!), your favorite pillow, the sun coming through the thick fog on a weekend morning, warm sand between your toes right at the end of Summer -- and today especially - the blessing of having clean water at the turn of the wrist in your own home, healthful conditions to raise a family, food a plenty, and one's own health.

After seeing the problems with Katrina/NO and beyond I can't really do anything (launder clothes, go to the grocery store and walk through aisles of bottled water) without thinking of the victims - no matter what the politics or poor planning. What's done is done, right or wrong (and we all know it's horribly wrong). When I pick up a bar of soap, wash my hair, bathe my son at night, clean my kitchen - I see the faces of the women, men and their children in the squalor of the now shut up Superdome or as I lay in bed at night in my Pillow-Top Serta 'all the bells and whistles' mattress nice and warm, I think of the elderly people laying on the sidewalks - if they're alive anyways.

What brings things into perspective is this - prayer and reliance on God. My friend Laura wrote a post about reliance on God for all things and it helped remind me of what's important. Thanks, Laura!

In times like these, one has to be thankful for anything one has - and to say the Jesus Prayer, over and over.

No comments: