Summer 2012

Summer 2012
BibeauArt of Santa Rosa

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

What feminists are missing...

And, YES, I used to be one a LONG LONG TIME AGO - although, after reading Frederica Matthews-Green about that topic I was shocked to learn that I was a very conservative feminist (with a little 'f').

To read some of her stuff, check this link out: http://www.frederica.com/articles.html -- and hunt for the "Disney Women" article. Man, I can't get enough of that one (that article is towards the bottom of the page).

There's also a good book with "Lions" in the title, but I can't recall the title at 10:30 at night! Anyhow, it was a THINKING book with lots to chew on, hard to get through and worth every minute. Kinda made a lady look at her life and 'beliefs' and say "WHAT? I don't believe THAT do I??"...kinda made me a bit mad too. What WAS I thinking?

However, I believe now that us feminists are missing out on a huge chunk of life. Case in point - when my lovely best friend showed me how to knit - was a wonderful and freeing day. Yeah, I'm not a housekeeper in the traditional way, but KNITTING ROCKS! Knitting blankets, sweaters, fun things, learning new stuff with other ladies - it ROCKS!

I like being an 'old lady'...those women know how to relax, think of others and make a killer pair of socks! I know a wonderful lady who is teaching me the beginning ropes of Quilting...and sewing...and it ROCKS too!

Forget breaking the 'glass ceiling' - what do you have to show for it? A bad dye job, bags under your eyes and your new car? Whatever! Give me a pair of circular needles and some yummy coloured yarn any day of the week.

I'm not saying ladies need to be barefoot, pregnant and knitting or something - (pregnancy was NOT my finest moment - all ten months of it!), but there is something so freeing about knitting something FOR someone - or yourself.

Now THAT'S empowering -- but Frederica says it much better than I ever could. Check her out and ROCK ON FELLOW KNITTERS!

1 comment:

Xenia Kathryn said...

Hey Nino,
I've read both of those amazing books. The "lions" one is called 'More Spirited than Lions: An Orthodox Response to Feminism' by Sarah Elizabeth Cowie. I've never really considered myself a feminist, but these books really helped me understand a lot about the movement.
:) Hope you're doing well!